Around 4:20 this evening Co. 63 and 62 were sent to the Continental Inn on the Rt. 30 “strip” for a reported outbuilding fire. Chief 63 was advised of multiple 911 calls indicating the pool-house was on fire. On the chief’s arrival he reported a working fire in a large 200′ x 100′ indoor pool building and requested a full box alarm be sounded. Due to the location the Chief also requested 2 tankers for water supply as the closest hydrant was over 2000′ away. Engines 63-1 and 62-2 arrived together with crews advancing lines off of 63-1 to attack the fire while Tower 63 took a spot in the rear off of a stone access road and together with the crew from Truck 204 got the roof open. Additional crews from several companies fulfilled additional fireground roles. As the fire was knocked down, it was discovered that some containers of chlorine for the pool had become compromised and were leaking prompting a full response from the Lancaster County Hazardous Materials Team. Haz Mat Technicians had to make entry into the burned out room and remove the chlorine before the investigation and overhaul could occur resulting in an extensive 6 hour operation. Crews on the scene included 63, 62 (Witmer), 41 (Bird in Hand), 48 (Ronks), 5 (Strasburg), 20 (Manheim Twp.), 43 (Gordonville), 61 (Upper Leacock), 50 (Willow Street), 66 (Lancaster Twp.), 2 (Lanco Hazmat) and 6 (Lancaster EMS).
A big thanks to Companies 59 (Refton) and 42 (Gap) for covering our station while we were out